Sunday, March 19, 2006

Portugese Man-o-War

I hate jellyfish, they are beautiful and fascinating creatures and (so far) have done me no harm, but I would rather swim with sharks than jellyfish ... the thought of those stings ... not nice!

It was the day before we were due to fly home, we were staying in Miami, the weather was (as usual) warm and sunny so it was off to Crandon Park beach on Key Biscayne. Greeted at the park entrance with a sign saying "jellies" .. oh well at least there is still the relaxing under the palm trees. There were a few jellyfish at the sea's edge and they looked fairly small and harmless, plus being bright blue they would be easily spotted, and there were some other people in the sea....so I managed to persuade my daughter to go into the sea with me. After a few minutes proving how brave we were in the shallows we decided that perhaps the sea was not so inviting after all.

When we got home I decided to check out what sort of jellyfish this was. A Portugese Man-o-War !!!....perhaps the most infamous jellyfish known since my childhood. Not the most dangerous jellyfish in the sea (that honour seems to go to the Box jellyfish) but are certainly capable of killing people with their sting in the wrong circumstances.

So lessons in life here...
don't follow others...they may be doing something stupid
there is always another day ...just because it is the last day of holidays save that swim if advised
pretty things are often dangerous :-)
Key Biscayne guide to Portuguese Man-o-War

6 Comments:

Blogger micki said...

Great story! I don't think I'll go swimming with you. We have a lot of jellies on our beach, but not this beautiful blue!

March 20, 2006 3:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember several trips to beach as a child that were ruined by jellyfish. Cool picture of it. It almost looks plastic.

March 20, 2006 6:12 am  
Blogger Sidney said...

Beautiful creatures...

March 20, 2006 5:15 pm  
Blogger Troy said...

I stepped on a stingray once and it was a bad experience. The ocean is full of bad shit

March 20, 2006 8:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - i saw this same guy (or maybe his cousin) when i was in florida. i actually tried to throw it back in the ocean, which didn't work. i stopped when i got stung (just a teeny bite.) glad you got this shot - it makes me feel better for not having my camera when i saw mine;) a gorgeous creature, huh?

March 23, 2006 6:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My beach is so covered with thoes things we can't even go there because they are in and out of the water . I wouldent be surprised if i don't go to the beach at all this summer

July 01, 2006 8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home